Sunday, November 4, 2018

Baby #2 - 20 weeks

I am 20 weeks pregnant today - halfway there!  And most likely, over halfway there as I am going to have a scheduled c-section this go around and will probably deliver early (which makes me sad, but I will see how long I can stretch my doctor into letting me go).  I was hoping to go 10 days late with Samuel because it would have made work easier and I never felt uncomfortable at the end.  I wouldn't mind going late with this baby as well.  Ian's birthday is March 16th and he has had to share that with with his twin his whole life.  Now he will have a kid born near the same day.  Poor guy.

The last few weeks I have felt so great.  I typically forget that I am pregnant until I try to lay down on my stomach or feel the baby move every so often (usually right when I lay down to go to sleep or in the middle of the night).  In the beginning, I felt so big.  Now I don't feel that big.  I am wearing maternity jeans and mostly maternity shirts, but I don't feel huge like I did in August and September.  

It is so great to be back to full energy and to feel like getting stuff crossed off my list.  We haven't really done too much to prepare for Baby, but I am trying to get caught up on everything I didn't do during August and September as well as prepare for the holidays.  


17 week 4 days - headed out for a run / walk - I thought about editing this photo for you, but my old online editing program is no longer free.

We had a doctor's appointment to kick off week 18 of pregnancy.  My doctor had a medical student with him (who looked so young!) and he tried to find the heartbeat of the baby.  He did, but it was hard to hear.  Our regular sitter (read: Samuel's third grandma who spoils, er, loves him) for Samuel was busy so Ian stayed home with him.  I was at the doctor's office for over two hours!  I sat in the waiting room for an hour and then waited in the exam room for 30-45 minutes.  It was like Mom's morning off :)

Samuel turned 18 months old the same day I was 18 weeks pregnant (how fun is that!?!)  We celebrated with coffee (decaf) and ice cream.  


I wanted to get a picture of Samuel and my belly to show our 18 month old boy and our 18 week boy, but this is what I got instead.  Samuel eating his ice cream and not cooperating for pictures.
I have been spending some time researching double jogging strollers and we pulled the trigger on buying a used one via Facebook Marketplace.  I am not sure if it is the area that we live in or if people just aren't selling BOBs but it was so hard to find a used BOB double jogging stroller.  I had been looking on and off on Craigslists and FB for a few months.  So when one came up within driving distance, we went for it.  And we did not die or get our tires slashed by the strangers that we bought the stroller from.  I am really proud that I did not let myself (or anyone related to me) throw down 700 dollars for a brand new one.  I was pretty tempted to ask though.  


18 weeks 4 days
20 Weeks with Samuel

In some ways this pregnancy feels so similar to Samuel's.  I chuckled when I went back and read how obsessed I was with jogging strollers during this same time during Samuel's pregnancy and how I am so ready (again) for some kicks and jabs (I don't feel much now, it is more like Baby squirming.) 

But in other ways it feels so different.  I know that I can survive a clingy, not-a-good sleeper infant.  I know I can keep a kid alive for at least 18 months.  We deliberated for like a week on what to call Samuel in utero (we called him Sprout - I think I wanted Nugget or Peanut and Ian did not want any food references).  This go around it is just "the baby" and we did not even discuss if we would come up with a nickname. 

I weighed myself just about everyday of Samuel's pregnancy (I also showered just about everyday of his pregnancy too).  I am not nearly as exhausted or trying to relearn Calc 3 this go around.  I was really nervous and anxious during Samuel's pregnancy - there were a lot of big life questions that still had question marks (where would we live?  would Ian be able to find a job?  would I be able to stay home?  what do you do with a baby alll day?  etc.)  I think I will have some anxiety as March approaches about if the baby will be a good sleeper, but our life is a lot more settled this go around (thankfully).  In some ways I am trying to "enjoy" this pregnancy more than last time, but I am also really focused on enjoying Samuel too.  

I have been praying, "Lord shape my heart (or our hearts) to look like Yours" often these last few months.  God is good to show us where we fall short and that through Jesus our hearts can continue to grow and be molded to be more like His.

No comments:

Post a Comment