Monday, December 12, 2011

Slightly obsessed...pumpkin scones

YA'ALLLLLLLLLLL!

I need to share this with you!  I am currently obsessed (after I wrote the title for this blog post, I realized that slightly and obsessed never go in the same sentence for me) with PUMPKIN!!!!!!!!!!  (Guess who got a care package from America with CANNED PUMPKIN in it last week?)

Case-in-point:  I had some pumpkin pie oatmeal with a pumpkin scone for breakfast today and I drank a lovely pumpkin spice latte.  I forgot how ahhmmmaazzzziiinnngggg pumpkin from a can tastes.  I am not going to even suggest that the pumpkin puree I made back in September can even begin to compare to canned American pumpkin.

Currently I am also intrigued with using milk kefir in dessert-y recipes to add probiotics (do probiotics die in the oven when they get heated to a certain point?) and reduce the amount of sugar needed for a recipe.  Have I shared this recipe for sugar free pancakes?  These are the only pancakes getting eaten in our house (er, apartment) right now.

Can you tell where this is headed?

Pumpkin (in a can, from America)

And

Kefir - reducing sugar in dessert


Pumpkin Kefir Scones (with dried cranberries if that floats your boat or if you are my amazing husband the craisins kinda sink the boat...)


Ingredients:
3/4 c milk kefir
6 Tblsp pumpkin puree
1/4 c dried cranberries (unless you are making this for a boat sinker, then leave them out)

1/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
dash of cloves
dash of ginger (more like half of a dash)
2.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
flour (start with 2 cups....I ended up using closer to 3 cups)

1.) Preheat your oven to 200 C (maybe 400 F) and turn on some Christmas music, a sermon (I listened to this one) or whatever you like to listen to as you bake.

2.) Mix the together kefir and pumpkin (and cranberries if you are using them).  Set this bowl in a safe place (not near your computer preferably)

3.) Mix together all the dry ingredients.  Then stir in the pumkefir mixture.  You want the dough to be a little bit sticky but not too sticky.  The first time I made these, I added in quite a bit of flour.

3.5) Take off your wedding ring (Or get half way through the next step and have your amazing husband come take them off for you.)

4.) Knead the dough a few times on a floured surface.  Pat the dough into a circle.  Cut it in half, then each half into half, then each half-half into half (that is, eighths).    Place each scone on a baking sheet (or the bottom rack of your oven if you have a janky oven like us).

5.) Bake for 17ish minutes.  Here is a timer for ya'll in case you have a janky oven that is timer-less. {Even though our oven IS janky, I am still VERY thankful for it}

And you are good to go.  Seriously, you are not going to miss the 3/4 cup of sugar most other pumpkin scone recipes call for.  I adapted this recipe for Honey From Rock.

Our Christmas tablerunner and some yummy scones (that you should go make and eat!)


No comments:

Post a Comment