Thursday, February 10, 2011

Reflections

Sometimes, we get too busy in life.  We do not take any time to slow down and reflect on where life has brought us and where we are headed.  I think February 10th is a day I will always remember.  The same is true for February 11th.  My maternal grandma passed away on 02.10.2009.  One of my best friends in college lost her mother on 02.11.2007.  Both events taught me about grief and mourning.  The following are thoughts and memories of my Grandma

We called her Grandma Owl (I think it was something about my grandparents living in Iowa, but our inability to say Iowa at a young age, so it came out Owl?  I do not know?).  One interesting fact about my grandma is that she was 100% Norwegian.  She could make some delicious Norwegian food!  I always enjoyed spending time with her in the kitchen.  My freshman year of college she mailed me a whole shoe box of Kringla cookies!  Each cookie was singly wrapped in plastic cling wrap.  I remember sharing the cookies with ALL the girls on my dorm floor!

One special memory I have with my Grandma is going to visit her and Grandpa for a week one summer when I was in high school.  As a high schooler, I was super busy all the time.  That week I went to visit Grandma and Grandpa, I relaxed!  It was so nice to hang out and do nothing.  It was also the week that my Grandma taught me how to cross stitch.  We got a kit, and I sat in one of their recliners and cross stitched all day.  What a fun week with my maternal grandparents!

One more fun fact: my Grandma taught me about miracles.  For real.  She was diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma (kidney cancer) my freshman year of high school.  They gave her 3 to 6 months to live.  She lived for 6 more years!  Praise God!

And even though I still sometimes grieve the loss of my Grandma here on earth, I do not like grieve like those who have no hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment