Sunday, January 16, 2011

Challenge #2: No coffee

This challenge came as a surprise, but still a good one.  I love coffee.  LOVE IT!  I drink coffee several times a day.  There are many benefits to coffee: it tastes good, it suppresses hunger (which is great for 10:00 am break at school when I am ready for lunch but have to teach for 2 more hours) and it has a low calorie count (if you do not add sugar and milk)  Today, I did not have any coffee before church (I was planning on having some at church - they make it in a coffee pot!).  By the time we got to church, I had a splitting headache.  So I decided that my body is probably addicted to caffeine.  Thus the challenge today was getting through without coffee.  I do not think that it is good to have my body addicted to any substance, including coffee.  My amazing husband said that he would support me in this (I was surprised by this proclamation...he loves coffee a lot too!)  We are embarking on a week of coffee-freeness.  We will see how this goes.  I was supposed to go running this afternoon, but I ended up taking a 2 hour nap instead.  I love Sunday naps.  They are fantastic!

Fun fact about Korea for today: Coffee in Korea.  First of all, they do not have decaf widely available.  Crazy, I know!  Second of all, they love (if I knew a word stronger word for love I would use it in this case) instant coffee.  They do not have coffee pots (hence my love for good "black coffee pot" coffee at church). How to make coffee in Korea:
1.) Heat up the water in the electric kettle. (Make sure the water comes to a boil - supposedly the tap water here is not safe to drink.  I am not about to find out if it is or not.  So boil the water.)

2.) While the water is heating, get out paper cups and empty one packet of instant coffee into each cup.  Yes, one packet per cup  (:
This is the most common Instant coffee packets in Korea.
3.) Pour in the hot water (Koreans pour in like 4 oz.  I prefer to fill my cup up) and use the empty packet (if you are spoon-less) to stir the water and coffee until the coffee is dissolved.

4.) Enjoy!  Koreans (the ones I know) have the amazing ability to drink really, really hot coffee.  They are always done with their coffee and I am still blowing on mine and waiting for it to cool off.
Notice the all the cream and sugar!

Pros:
  • The coffee packets already have cream and sugar in them. 
  • If someone does not want coffee, you can use the hot water to make tea, or just hot water
  • You can make exactly how much coffee you want
  • There is no coffee grounds to worry about
Cons:
A Korean paper cup

  • There is no big warm mug to wrap your hands around.  The paper cups are like 6 oz I think.  Think of the cups you when brushing your teeth.
  •  It is really hard to find black coffee here
  • There are about 50 calories per packet

No comments:

Post a Comment