Thursday, September 9, 2010

What do you do?

Americans are really interested in our jobs here in Korea.

Short answer: We teach English to elementary students in a public school.

Long answer: My amazing husband and I work at different schools so our systems are a little different.  Korean public school students start to learn English in 3rd grade.  3rd and 4th graders come to English class two times a week.  5th and 6th graders come to English class 3 times a week.  (It is similar to music or art class in elementary schools in America).  Each time the students come to English class, they have a Korean teacher who can speak English.  For me, once a week, I am with the Korean teacher (per class).  So I see students for 40 minutes once a week.  I have 19 classes of kiddos so that is somewhere between 550-570 kids I see each week.  I work with every 3rd-6th grade student at my school. I also teach an English conversation class after school once a week for the staff at my school.  On Thursdays, I have "English Club" in the afternoons.  I have about 12-15 students during that time.  English Club is 90 minutes!  I think the kids and I are both really happy that it is not a minute longer. 

Ian is working with 3rd, 5th, and 6th graders this year.  It is pretty similar to my schedule, but he has 22 classes of kiddos, so he teaches over 600 kids a week!

I hope this makes sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment