Monday, March 14, 2011

Book Review #4


I had some quality time to read this weekend.  While running 19 miles this Saturday, I developed a nice blood blister.  I never get blood blisters EVER.  This is the second one I have gotten in the last few days.  yuck-o!  Anywho, I finished reading Counterfeit Gods: The Empty Promises of Money, Sex, and Power, and the Only Hope that Matters (long title I know!) by Tim Keller.  Go find the book and read it.  It is really good.   I will give you a summary: We all have idols in our lives.  We might not see them, they may be buried deep, but they are there.  Idols enslave.  Idols are not necessarily bad things.  They may be good things that we make the ultimate thing.

I think my favorite part of the book is the chapter that talks about Jonah.  Do you know how the story of Jonah ends?  If you do not, go read it.  Somehow, I always just think about Jonah and the whale and that is about all.  It is important to know the ending of the story as well.

Here is a quote from the book that really challenged me, "Idols cannot simply be removed. They must be replaced. If you only try to uproot them, they grow back; but they can be supplanted. By what? By God himself, of course. But by God we do not mean a general belief in his existence. Most people have that, yet their souls are riddled with idols. What we need is a living encounter with God."

Do you know what holiday is celebrated on March 14 in Korea?  It is not pi day (sadly).  Tune in next time to see what it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment