Monday, May 23, 2011

Granola?

I am rocking out to Sara Groves singing Christmas music right now!  Yeah!  I love Christmas music!

Last week, I tried to make some granola bars. (Side note: I love granola bars.  Love them!)   In college, my roommate always said that a granola bar was equal to a cookie in nutritional value.  I am going to try to make a semi-healthy granola bar.  I have searched (not too hard) for granola bar recipes on line.  First step in the instruction says, "Preheat..."  I stop reading as soon as I see Preheat.  Or the ingredient list is ridiculous (for someone living in South Korea), so I do not even make it to the Preheat part.

My dear friend, Amanda emailed me a recipe that had no sugar in it.  So I decided to give it a try.  This is what I got:



Not so much?

The main problem was getting the mixture to set up.

This is what I tried: "toast" 2 cups of oatmeal.  By toast, I really mean, put 2 cups of oatmeal in a pan on a stove and stir occasionally while getting the other ingredients ready.   This is how I make toast, so I thought I would give it a try?  I have no idea if it worked.  Anywho, then I dumped the "toasted" oatmeal into a bowl.

I poured a half cup of PB (yes, I know PB has sugar in it) and half a cup on honey into the pan and stirred it together over low (or med-low?) heat.  Once it seemed mixed together pretty well, I dumped the oatmeal, toasted oatmeal into the mixture and stirred some more.  Then I sprinkled in some dried cranberries.  Then I scoped/poured the mixture into a pan.  I let it cool.

Don't get me wrong, it tasted great.  However, the granola bar texture was not really there AND you had to eat it with a spoon.  Not so much for grab and go...

There has to be a first time for everything, right?  Hopefully attempt 2 will go better.

If you have a no-bake granola bar recipe, share it please!  Thank you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment